50 Forward Initiative
Paterson Habitat is joining Habitat affiliates across the country in accepting the King Center's challenge to undertake 50 acts of kindness and service to commemorate Dr. King in this 50th anniversary year of his death. We'll do our part here as we build the Beloved Community in Paterson, and we'd love to have your help.
1. Volunteer during a CPTED monthly event. Email here for more info.
2. Teach someone how to knit, quilt or crochet a blanket.
3. Make or take a meal to someone who is going through a tough time.
4. Be a summer reading volunteer at a Paterson day care.
5. Gather a team to participate in Hammering 4 Habitat (building walls for a future home).
6. Help keep your neighborhood tidy by picking up litter. Consider having a clean-up day in your area.
7. Attend a Paterson Habitat House Dedication.
8. Organize a home painting party for a family or friend.
9. Volunteer to build on a Habitat construction site.
10. Pick up groceries for an elderly person/couple.
11. Be kind to yourself. Do something that makes you smile.
12. Make a financial contribution to Paterson Habitat.
13. Volunteer your time at the ReStore.
14. Write a blog or social media post about your volunteer experience with PHFH.
15. Help a teen with their resume.
16. Spend extra time with your friends and family.
17. Help an elderly person/couple take their dog for a walk.
18. Give a single parent's children free hair cuts.
19. Ask your employer to get involved with volunteering and/or donating.
20. Join a Paterson Habitat committee.
21. Donate a "welcome home" basket for an incoming Habitat homeowner family.
22. Give a few music lessons to a beginner.
23. Have bake sale to raise money for Habitat.
24. Donate children's books to Free Little Library (at Green Acres Garden).
25. Volunteer at Green Acres Community garden.
26. Become a Habitat Young Professional (PHYP).
27. Join our speaker's bureau and help spread the word about Habitat's mission.
28. Make or take a cup of coffee, or a desert to a friend or neighbor.
29. Volunteer to build and donate your hours toward an incoming Habitat families "sweat equity".
30.Help a young adult in find a summer job.
31. Sponsor a Habitat Homeowner child to attend Kids Kamp on 8/13.
32. Advocate for affordable housing in your own neighborhood
33. Join us for Habitat on the Hill.
34. Join our "Travel with a Purpose" Malawi team (November 2018).
35. Help a teen prepare for a job interview.
36. Share on social media why you support Habitat's mission.
37. Write a "letter to the editor" about the need for homes that people can afford.
38. Donate a gently used item to the ReStore.
39. Volunteer to help at our next event.
40. Offer to escort an elderly person or couple to church/dinner/movie and bring them home.
41. Attend an affordable housing lobby day.
42. Help in a soup kitchen or food pantry.
43. Welcome Habitat construction groups to our worksite.
44. Donate your old reading glasses.
45. Have your children participate in "a month for Habitat" giving calendar.
46. Join our "Travel with a Purpose" New Orleans team (February 2019).
47. Build a bookcase for a child(ren) of an incoming Habitat homeowner family.
48. Share your special skill or talent with Paterson Habitat.
50. Tutor a child of a Habitat family.
51. Donate to Paterson Habitat's recovery efforts in Puerto Rico (Habitat Hammers Back).