Starting on April 24, 2017, Paterson high school students ages 14-18 are eligible to apply for a seven-week summer internship and enrichment program. Students will be selected for the program and placed in area companies to serve a seven-week paid internship. On Fridays during the program, all interns will participate in a skills-building workshop from 9am-2pm at Paterson Habitat. Students are also required to attend two field trips. We will begin distributing the application Monday, April 24th. To receive an application, please either visit the office or email email@example.com. There will be an informational session on Wednesday May 10th, from 4-6pm at the Paterson Habitat for Humanity office located at 146 N. 1st Street.
Applications are due no later than May 15, 2017 by 5:00pm.
Since 2011, Paterson Habitat for Humanity has administered a summer internship program designed to give Paterson high school students a first or early meaningful work experience. The program works in partnership with area companies and organizations who agree to provide a young student the opportunity to work in a professional environment. Whenever possible, we try to recruit companies that are aligned with the student’s future career interests. We also partner with companies that have the capacity to provide a mentoring supervisor who will guide the student through the work-portion of the program. Since its inception, the program and interest in the program has grown exponentially and we now receive approximately 130 student applications annually, accept between 15-17 interns per summer, and work with between 12 -17 sponsoring companies and organizations each year.
This program is funded through a generous grant by a private foundation.
Summary of Program Structure
- This program is open to high school students ages 14-18.
- Students must be Paterson residents.
- The students are placed in local companies or organizations where they gain valuable work experience under the guidance of a mentor/supervisor at the partnering organization.
- The students work at total of 24 hours each week (6 hours a day) from Monday to Thursday, and on Friday they attend an academic and life skills workshop at Paterson Habitat.
- The students are paid in full through Paterson Habitat for Humanity.
- Paterson Habitat for Humanity insures the student while at the sponsoring company.
- In early spring, we begin to send out information about the internship to students and post to our social media sites.
- In April, we hold a student information session at our offices about the internship. We also provide tips on how to search for summer jobs, as well as interviewing skills and resume building.
- In May/June, we conduct student interviews for two weeks and make our final intern selections and placements by mid-June.
- The internships start in very late June/early July and run until the third week in August, for a period of seven weeks.
- To provide the opportunity for a paid work experience to a young person entering the workforce.
- To continue to develop academic and life skills during the summer months in preparation for college and work life.
Past Partnering Companies and Organizations
Accurate Box Company, Paterson, NJ
Advantage Restaurant Equipment, Paterson, NJ
Allstate Insurance Agency, Wayne, NJ
Anthony LaSala Law Firm, Wayne, NJ
City of Paterson, Department of Community Improvements, Paterson, NJ
City of Paterson, Human Resources Department, Paterson, NJ
Classic Auto Body Headquarters, Paterson, NJ
Columbia Bank, Fairlawn, NJ
Community Health Center; Paterson, NJ
CUMAC, Paterson, NJ
David Insurance Services, Wayne, NJ
Dime Magazine, New York City, NY
Division of Planning and Zoning, City of Paterson, Paterson, NJ
Economic Development Office, City of Paterson, NJ
Eva’s Village, Paterson, NJ
Evan’s Architects, Paterson, NJ
F3 Engineering, Paterson, NJ
Friendship Corner Daycare, Paterson, NJ
Historic Preservation Commission, Paterson, NJ
Impact Paterson, Paterson, NJ
Kai’s Amazing Kids Daycare, Paterson, NJ
Madison Avenue Crossroads, Paterson, NJ
MetLife, Paramus, NJ
Passaic County District Attorney’s office, Wayne, NJ
Passaic County Economic Development Office, Totowa, NJ
Passaic Superior Court – Criminal Division, Paterson, NJ
Passaic Superior Court – Domestic Violence Unit, Paterson, NJ
Paterson Community Health Center, Paterson NJ
Paterson Economic Development Office, Paterson, NJ
Paterson Habitat for Humanity, Paterson, NJ
Paterson Habitat ReStore, Wayne, NJ
Paterson Public Library, Paterson and Totowa locations, NJ
Paterson Restoration Corp.; Paterson, NJ
Railroad Construction Company, Paterson, NJ
St. Paul’s CDC Next Step Workforce Development Center; Paterson, NJ
State Farm Insurance Agency, Haledon, NJ
St. Joseph’s Hospital, Center for Education Department, Paterson, NJ
The Law Firms of Mann and Lennon, Totowa, NJ
Treasury Department, City of Paterson, Paterson, NJ
Valley National Bank, Wayne, NJ
William Paterson University Small Business Center, Paterson, NJ
If you are interested in learning more about the program or hosting an intern this summer, please contact:
Andrea Brescia, program administrator, at 973-595-6868 or firstname.lastname@example.org